Many jobs require extended periods of either standing or sitting; unfortunately this creates an opportunity for the formation of varicose veins. As a person remains in one position, either sitting or standing for more than 30 minutes at a time, the blood in the legs is influenced by the force of gravity, causing added stress on the veins and valves in the legs. As extended standing or sitting becomes routine, the continuing stress will cause the valves to breakdown and the vein walls to weaken, allowing blood to pool. As pooled blood collects the result is the formation of bulging and painful varicose veins.
The cause of varicose veins can be influenced by a number of factors; age, gender, weight, heredity and hormones. Any or all of these can affect an individual’s vein strength and susceptibility to venous disease.
If you are concerned that your job will lead to varicose vein formation, ask yourself:
- Do I repeat the same dozen tasks every day I attend work?
- During these tasks, do I repeat the same movements?
- Do I stand or sit for longer than 30 minutes at a time without much movement?
- Do my legs feel sore, swollen or numb at the end of my shift?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you may be at risk for developing varicose veins. To reduce your risk, attempt to make small changes to your routine to incorporate in movements that aid to increase circulation. If repetitive tasks are unavoidable in your profession, try:
- Wearing supportive footwear, wearing cushioned socks or using gel insoles
- Wearing loose clothing that won’t restrict circulation when standing or sitting
- Visit your Chicago Vein Clinic to be fitted for a pair of medical grade compression hose
In addition to these methods, many individuals will find relief through low-impact exercise and weight loss. While varicose veins do not disappear once they have developed, your Chicago Vein Clinic can help. Advanced Vein and Laser Centre’s team of highly trained vein specialists can treat even the most advanced cases of varicose veins using minimally invasive techniques with few side effects, allowing you to resume your daily activities immediately. Call Advanced Vein and Laser Centre, your premier Chicago Vein Clinic, at (847) 367-4040 or
visit us online
to speak with a qualified vein specialist today.