The past decade has brought tremendous advancements in
treatments. Previously, the only option was invasive major surgery called “vein stripping,” which resulted in long recovery times and potential failure within a few years. Today, vein doctors have a revolutionary alternative for venous insufficiencies called Endovenous Laser Treatment, and it offers many substantial benefits for patients with leg pain in Grayslake.
How It Works
Endovenous laser treatment (EVLT) was developed by interventional radiologists, doctors that specialize in imaging and minimally invasive treatments. The procedure closes down the incompetent superficial vein- the underlying cause of symptoms such as
– using thermal ablation/heat sealing. A hot laser fiber tip passes through the vein via an IV in the lower leg, shutting the vein as it moves. A small injection of lidocaine along the laser’s course ensures high heat and minimal damage. The damaged vein is reabsorbed into the body, and eventually disappears.
To complete the
varicose vein treatment
, a second minimally invasive procedure called ambulatory microphlebectomy is commonly used in conjunction with EVLT. Here, a tiny nick is made to remove bulging, dilated varicose veins.
Benefits of EVLT
- No surgical incision or visible scars
- No anesthesia or sedation necessary for most patients
- High success rate and low recurrence rate (compared to surgery): EVLT has a 93-97% success rate
- Very safe with low complication rates
- Procedure is out-patient and takes under an hour
- Fast recovery time: patients can walk and resume normal activities on the same day
- Covered by most major insurance providers and healthcare plans
Following EVLT, patients will have mild pain, inflammation, and bruising for several days or even weeks. This is normal, and simply means the treatment is working. Follow-up exams for EVLT include ultrasound surveillance to ensure complete vein closure and proper healing.
If you have varicose veins or other venous insufficiencies and need a vein clinic in the Grayslake area, contact
Advanced Vein and Laser Centr
e today. We proudly offer EVLT and have seen the benefits of this non-invasive procedure first-hand. To discuss venous insufficiencies and
with a Grayslake vein doctor, please call 847.367.4040 or
Contact Us Online