Blood clots can sometimes form in your legs during travel because you are immobile for long periods of time (8 to 10 hours or longer), often sitting in cramped spaces with little leg room. The longer the travel, the more at risk you are for developing a clot.
In many cases, the blood clot will dissolve and go away on its own. However, in more serious cases, a blood clot formed in the deep veins of your leg may detach and travel to your lungs, causing a pulmonary embolism (PE).
A possible association of VTE with prolonged travel has been suspected since 1954 and was called “economy class syndrome” in 1988 (although there is currently no evidence that economy class solely is a determinant of risk). However, the most important issue related to your odds of developing a blood clot is how many risk factors you have at the time of travel.
Am I At Risk?
Your risk of developing a blood clot during travel is increased by the following:
- Use of oral contraceptives
- Recent surgery
- Older age
- History of previous blood clots
- Genetic predisposition to blood clots
Avoid developing a blood clot when traveling by doing the following:
- Stretch legs and change position frequently.
- Drink lots of fluids and wear loose-fitting clothes.
- Store your carry-on baggage in a place that will allow enough leg room.
- Try not to cross your legs.
- Wear compression stockings.
- Be careful about leg rests that compress the calf or behind the knee.
- Avoid excessive alcohol intake.
If you plan on traveling soon and have concerns about getting a blood clot, set up a complimentary consultation with
Dr. Richard Rosenfeld
at our vein clinic in Chicago today. With over 18 years of experience with all types of vein diseases, including treatment of varicose veins,
has the top vein clinic in Chicago ready to help you.
treatment in Chicago uses laser vein removal technology for the treatment of varicose veins and other vein diseases.
Schedule your varicose vein treatment
in Chicago today and get fast, accurate relief. Call 847. 367. 4040 or
Contact Us Online
to set up a consultation.