A venogram is a diagnostic test that provides vein doctors an X-ray visualization of the veins, particularly in the lower extremities (legs). It provides a constant image of
on a fluoroscope screen after contrast dye is injected into a vein in the patient’s foot or groin. The contrast dye allows the vein doctor to evaluate the size, location and condition of the veins including their degree of attachment of the blood clots. It is especially useful when there is a strong suspicion of deep vein thrombosis that non-invasive tests have failed to identify.
With this imaging method, the patient and surgeon have a more comprehensive way to see the disease. According to researchers, it shows all aspects of the varicose veins that are important to detect before surgery to prevent recurrence.
Venography might be done to:
- Check the blood flow in veins.
- Find the right placement in blood vessels for medical devices such as filters.
Deep Vein Thrombosis
(DVT) or other abnormalities
Benefits of the CT method:
- Three-dimensional images can be considered a complementary road map for surgical planning and sometimes surgical prevention.
- Aides in the avoidance of anatomic pitfalls and increase a surgeon’s confidence in their surgical approach.
- CT Venograms can detect deep-seated varicose vein pathways and major perforators that were often missed by Duplex Sonography due to its limited view.
- Contrast-enhanced CT Venography can show the calf veins with clear anatomic landmarks such as muscle and bone.
The three-dimensional images of CT Venograms can be considered a
complementary road map for surgical planning. Under the guidance of our qualified vein doctors, our new, spider vein clinic and varicose vein treatment in Chicago can quickly and safely get rid of veins that plague our patients with leg pain. To discuss our spider vein clinic, leg pain or circulation, contact our vein doctors at
Advanced Vein and Laser Centre
today. Call 847. 367. 4040 or
Contact Us Online
to speak with a vein doctor at the leading varicose veins treatment in Chicago. We can determine the right treatments and preventative measures for your vein problems so you can enjoy each day to its fullest.