If you have venous insufficiency and need a vein treatment, you usually have the option of a surgical treatment or a non-surgical treatment. In the past, surgical ligation was the main treatment for varicose veins. However, it can be more invasive than non-surgical treatments and the recovery time is much longer. Surgical treatments also have a higher rate of venous insufficiency recurrence.
There are several types of non-surgical vein treatments, and none of them require surgical equipment to cut the skin. The main types of non-surgical vein treatments are:
• Sclerotherapy – This treatment involves a tiny injection of a chemical into the affected vein. The chemical affects the inside of the vein and causes it to collapse. Gradually, the vein is absorbed into the surrounding tissue and disappears. The blood flows through healthier veins. This treatment is mainly used for varicose veins that are close to the surface of the skin and for spider veins.
• Endovenous Laser Ablation – This treatment uses a laser to generate heat in the vein to cause it to be absorbed by the body. A laser fiber is inserted into the catheter and the heat from the laser causes the vein to collapse and shrink. Endovenous laser ablation is often used for the veins that are deeper inside the leg.
The main benefits of non-surgical vein treatments are:
• No surgical incision
• More effective than vein stripping with less discomfort and fewer complications
• No scarring
• No recovery time
If you think you may be developing varicose or spider veins, you can learn about treatment options during a consultation with our expert. Some of the early symptoms that may be caused by increased pressure in the leg veins are:
• Aching and throbbing in the legs
• Itching on the calves and ankles with or without a rash
• Heaviness in the legs
• Dark pigmentation around the ankles and lower calf
We recommend that you consider non-surgical vein treatments if:
• Self-care treatments are not successful in reducing symptoms
• You are distressed by the appearance of your legs
• You are experiencing pain and cramping in the legs
• You are getting blood clots
• You have sores or ulcers on your legs
• Your legs become hard because of the pressure of pooled blood
During a consultation at Advanced Vein and Laser Centre in Libertyville, our well-trained venous expert will examine your veins and tell you your options for treatment. With non-invasive, non-surgical vein treatments, you can have healthy, smooth legs again without the discomfort associated with surgery. We happily serve the Chicago and surrounding areas. Contact us today to schedule your appointment to learn more.